Thursday, August 12, 2004

Biscuit of the Day - Puto Pao

Today's Biscuit of the Day is Puto Pao, Philippine-style steamed buns. I craved Asian food today and was looking for something different from the normal Chinese stir fry and Japanese sushi that is so readily available in my area. So I found something new to try, steamed buns! Step aside, Krispy Kremes!

Here are some links to general sites about Philippine culture and food.

Discover Philippines->Culture->Food
Evolution of Food Dishes in the Phillipines
Steamed Bun (Siopao) Recipe 1 (with pictures)
Asian Breads (includes Bibingka and Puto Bread)
Puto Pao Mix

There are a lot of great foods from the different parts of Asia that never see the light of day here in the US. I remember taking my diving certification and a sweet young Korean couple cooking stir fry from fresh ingredients they had brought with them for the trip. They kindly offered me some stir fry and sweet kimchi. I wasn't too sure what to expect with the kimchi (fermented cabbage), but I just kept in mind that it was basically Korean sauerkraut as I ate it. Sure enough, to my happy surprise, I really enjoyed it!

-- Aeryth

4 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

How interesting that you should blog on Filipino food. I had Filipino food today for lunch, and although that might not sound too exciting coming from a Filipino-American like myself, I was lunching with a fellow co-worker (who is Caucasian). At any rate, he was telling me about his stint in the Navy and how he was in the Philippines for a while. So he had some background in eating Filipino food. I should have taken you and Charles to a restaurant when I was still in Texas.

---
Wow, I just had a long talk with Charles (which is why the date posted is on Friday). Kinda spooky that he would call me as I was typing up this comment. =)
---

Anyway, I would have to say that siopao is one of my favorites because it's as filling as it is mobile. You don't have to sit down to eat it, and generally one is good enough for me (which says alot). One of my childhood memories is going with my dad to this one Siopao type restaurant and ordering the Siopao Mami (the special one with cooked egg inside). Too bad they closed the place down recently.

If ever you have any questions about Filipino cooking, feel free to send them my way. Now that I'm living at home again, I can certainly appreciate my dad's home-cooked meals.

Ma Sarap! (or in Ilocano, na-imas!)

P.S. Congratulations on your promotion at work! God is good... all the time.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Aeryth said...

Hey Brent,

Good to hear from you again! :) Hehehe... Regarding your lunch, I guess you could say Great Minds Eat Alike, huh?

Do you remember any good Filipino restaurants or bakeries in the DFW area that you could recommend? Around here, I've noticed most of the restaurants lean towards Vietnamese cuisine or severely americanized Chinese food.

Hope all is well with you and your family. Congratulations on the house! You ought to post some more pictures of it so we have a stop motion slideshow of it being built. :)

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Just wanted to officially stop by and let you know that I enjoy reading your blog and have put a link to it on my blog. Hope you don't mind! If you do though, let me know and I'll take it off. Cheers!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

I got a response from my uncle who lives in Arlington, and here's what he says about Filipino restaurants in the Metroplex:

There is a Filipino karaoke bar in Ft. Worth called "Tambayan" and sometimes may have hors d'ovres (pulutan). In Dallas, there's two: "Palayok" in Richardson and "D'Kusina" in Garland.

I've not tried any of them, so I can't vouch for their authenticity, but it's worth a shot?

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home