Friday, July 02, 2004

Modern Rebels

Taking a brief break from studying... Saw today that Marlon Brando passed away at the age of 80. God bless the Godfather, and hope he is safely in the arms of God the father. In homage, I've added a ton of his movies to my Netflix queue. I loved A Streetcar Named Desire. I actually read the book before I saw the movie. Gritty and emotional pretty much sums up the tone of the book, and passion and impulse is faithfully translated into the movie as well. Considering this movie was released in the 50s (era of the Beav, Disney, rigid conformity, and the Hayes code), the emotional frankness and Brando's burly, unkempt character performance is even more striking.

Also added James Dean, the other quintessential 50s rebel. He just had one really major movie, but I felt it wasn't fair to put Brando in the queue by himself.

My SO and I watched 50 First Dates yesterday. For an Adam Sandler vehicle, it really shined! Normally, I'm not that much into his movies. Sandler tends to concentrate on isolated humorous situations to the point the plot is disjointed and simply becomes a weak attempt to join multiple SNL skits into a movie. However, his romance with Drew Barrymore was sweet without being syrupy and his situational humor was funny without overpowering the story. Bravo!

Well, back to the grind of studying for this test......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home