Thursday, October 14, 2004

Biscuit of the Day - Providence, Tale of a Caffeine Junkie

Today's Biscuit of the Day is Providence. What is providence? According to an excerpt from Webster's Dictionary, providence is "Theo. A manifestation of the care and superintendence which God exercises over his creatures; an event ordained by divine direction. "

My little story I will share may or may not be Providence. Either way, I thought it was fun how things turned out.

Yesterday, I was in the middle of the trance-like state programmers enter when we focus our awareness and let code flow out from some deep well of logic in the mind onto the screen. Some athletes call this state of ecstasy "flow." For me, pure productive coding bliss. Suddenly and rudely, the meat carriage that "drives around my brain like a soccer mom" briefly snapped me back into reality to notify me I was very very thirsty. And having a whammy of a caffeine deprivation headache on top of that.

Well, only one way to fix that. My brain in a painful not thinking blur, I grabbed some change out of my purse, enough I thought, for a can of Diet Coke. I walked across the street from my office building to the little gas station run by a small Indian family. Stumbling around the rocky construction work near my building in heels, I started to count change to see what goodies I could get. As I counted, I appeared to have enough so I continued walking. Finally, just outside the station door, I finished counting. Ack, 10 cents short! :(

Well, at this point, there was no turning back. I loathed the thought of wasting that precious time and returning with nothing. My profound thirst was getting worse. After hesitating for a bit, I decided to go ahead and walk in anyways to see what was inside. A man stood near the gas station counter. When he heard the door swing open, he turned around, his mouth arcing in a smile. "Hey, I just won the lotto jackpot. Pick out anything you want in the store and I'll pay your tab. Tell your friends and I will get them anything they want too. "

Oh man! My face lit up once realization hit the neurons that caffeine was on its way. After thanking the man profusely I picked out a 1 liter of Diet Coke and a stick of Starbursts, thanked him again, and merrily skipped back to work.

Talk about good fortune! Sadly, I never did catch the man's name, but God bless him for giving me a small miracle in a time of need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home