Saturday, November 27, 2004

Thanksgiving Reflections

Oh man, what a Thanksgiving! Cajun-style deep fried turkey, sweet tater pie, and all the other goodies from the south-land were passed round and round my table. Oh, and don't forget buckeyes (an insanely sweet peanut butter and chocolate confection). God bless Alabama and Lousiana style cooking!

Stayed in town this Thanksgiving, so the holiday was a welcome respite from my busy schedule. Unfortunately, few of the remaining maternal relatives I have are still living or in a state they could travel, so we couldn't invite anyone down to visit. My sole maternal uncle enjoyed his first Thanksgiving with his new wife on a huge farm her parents have in Missouri. I heard from my mom that my grandmother was asking about me. Grandma wanted to know when I was going to finish with junior high. (Sadly, my grandmother has very advanced Alzheimer's and doesn't remember that I am 24).

On my dad's family, I have a strange vacuum. For whatever reasons of his own, my father hasn't been in any sort of communication with my paternal relatives since I was a tiny girl. I know I have relatives living on his side of the family, I just don't know how many or even their names. Sometimes it kind of trips me out that I could be walking down the street past grandparents or uncles or aunts or first cousins and never even know it. But anyways, kin is kin and I hope they had blessed Thanksgivings as well, even if I don't know their names or faces.

Spent lots of time with Charles and his family too, which was one of the best parts of the holiday. :) Time to bust out the gift wrap and holiday spirit and get ramped up for Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home