Sunday, December 04, 2005

Manual Drip Coffee

Today's post is some notes I made about using a manual drip coffee set. If you haven't seen one, they look like a cone stuck on top of a saucer that covers your cup or carafe. You put a filter with coffee inside the cone, then pour water over the coffee to brew the mix. Mine looks like this. Since the weather has been getting cooler and bringing on my innate desire to hibernate, my cheap little coffee set has seen lots of mileage recently.

Manual Coffee Dripping Do's:

1. Use a gold permanent filter, not a paper filter. For some reason, the paper doesn't seem to let the flavor out fast enough and you get a weak, watery cup. The permanent filters bring the flavor and strength up to a good coffee press strength.
2. Boil water on the stove. For whatever reason, microwaving water to a boil just doesn't seem to produce as great a cup of coffee as H2O boiled in a kettle. I think the kettle helps retain heat and maintain the water temperature better.
3. "Bloom" the coffee. Wet the coffee grounds before pouring all the boiling water in. This seems to help the flavor leach out of the grinds better.
4. Use a bit less coffee for the cup when you brew your first manual drip cup. Since the gold filter lets so much more of the coffee essence pass through, you can easily accidentally OD on caffeine if you are not wary.

Manual Coffee Dripping Don'ts:

1. Don't pour water into the kettle without measuring first. The brewing apparatus makes it difficult to see when your coffee cup will overflow.
2. Don't limit your bean selection to Starbucks. To me, Starbucks is rather nasty and tastes like chemical laced ashes due to how they char the beans rather than roast them. Illy, Community Coffee, and Millstone are commonly available and taste soo much better.
3. Don't overgrind the beans. Normal drip coffee is about as fine of a consistency as you can use with a gold filter. French Press coarseness might also work well. Espresso fineness would result in a cup of sludge.

This week I find out my clinical assignment for my classes in the spring during my orientation Friday. I've been scrambling around town and on the internet finding all my supplies like scrubs, a stethoscope, and nursing shoes. I believe my first clinical rotation will be on a medical surgical unit to learn how to assist surgeons during operations, which promises to be very interesting. I've been flipping through the various medical shows on TV trying to identify the scopes the doctors wear (Ultrascope, Littman, Rappaport-Sprague?) I feel so fortunate right now to be where I am especially knowing what I know about how competitive it is to gain entrance into nursing school right now. Best of luck to any applying nursing students reading my blog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home