Thursday, September 29, 2005

Chocolate's Origins

Here is an article by the BBC on the origin of chocolate. If you're like me and on a diet, but have a terrible weakness for chocolate, seeing the slave child labor that goes into chocolate farming will definitely nip that sweet tooth in the bud.

Fortunately, some places offer high quality chocolate that is fair trade and cruelty free. Another possible alternative is single plantation gourmet chocolate (a la how some teas can be purchased).

BBC's article on chocolate and slavery.

2 Comments:

Blogger Siel said...

This is so depressing :(

I recently bought some fair trade halloween chocolates via Global Exchange, but they're all sold out now! Will have to settle for ones without pumpkin wrapping :) It's good to know other people care about ending slavery, though --

8:28 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

Wow, I didn't realize that there was this intolerance when it came to cocoa and even some coffee farms.

I just wanted to drop by and say hi (perhaps I'll get to see you this weekend?). I found this cool gadget online and immediately thought of you!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home