Saturday, December 17, 2005

Retail job-love

This week has been a great one work wise. I got recognized in my company's district/regional newsletter for providing outstanding service to a customer. We do random surveys about the customer experience that you can fill out on the internet and it goes to our headquarters. Apparently a customer was so happy with the help I gave that it caught the attention of the district and regional managers of my large company and they put it in there. I just can't believe that the customer remembered my name. :-) Then on top of that, another customer asked to speak to my manager earlier this week and he went on a long speech of what a lifesaver I was after I helped him locate a shirt for a dear relative that hadn't been on the shelves in months. Apparently, I was the only one in the store who remembered the item and knew what it was he was talking about. So after a little job-love from the managers, I've been feeling pretty good this week.

I think everyone should have at least one period of time spent in retail. The philosophical and psychological standpoint you gain about people and their behavior is priceless. I can probably identify the cues of a problem or happy customer from about 100 paces now. Also, you are forced to put aside any remaining shred of ego you have to serve others, which is great training for anyone going into or a caretaking career (like nursing!) or who wants to be a parent or who is just jaded by how self-centered our society is and wants a different view of things. Retail is not perfect and since you give so much of yourself (if you're good) to your job, it can be exhausting. However, as an insight into business and the base needs and feelings of people, it is priceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home