Sunday, November 28, 2004

Site update

Urgh... Been sick today from bad restaurant food yesterday. Fortunately, I've been trying to make lemonade of lemons by updating this site and spiffing up the templates and stuff. This template, with its parchment and brown, appears to be the easiest read of all the blogger templates.

I'm waiting on my huge new fish tank to finish cycling. The bottom is covered in fine, white sand like the beaches in Cancun and heavily planted. Right now, its at a junction where one of two decisions can be made. Should I raise clownfish (the fish in Finding Nemo) or electric yellow cichlids (very smart and social, but highly aggressive fish)? Can't do both because clownies are salt water and cichlids are fresh water. Decisions, decisions!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Hi Aeryth,

I hope your stomach feels a lot better. It's never fun to function when the body is not at 100%.

So I've been catching up on blog reading and the person whose blog I read right before yours had the exact same blogger template. At first I thought it wasn't loading correctly, then I read the content and it was yours! I could have sworn my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Is it much more difficult to maintain a salt water environment vs. a fresh water one? One of the websites I visit regularly had a thing on fish aquariums the other day. A Fish Highway. It's a cool but seemingly intense project to endevaor.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Aeryth said...

Hey Brent,

Yeah, both Charles and I are both feeling better from when we got sick. :) Thank you for the kind thoughts!

Sorry about the sudden template change. Once I have a little bit more time, I'm going to work on putting my links and other stuff back up, so my blog should differentiate a little from others with this same template again. :)

Oh yeah! Isn't that aquarium cool? :) All the work that must have gone into cutting all those pieces of acrylic and sealing them perfectly must have been astounding. I wonder if the creator was a civil engineer. He's definitely a cichlid keeper. That big fellow on the bottom is a Jack Dempsey.

Regarding the salt water versus a freshwater cichlid tank, they really aren't too much different as far as care goes. Both have to be VERY clean and well filtered. The major difference is that with salt water, you have to monitor the specific gravity of the water to make sure your tank contains the proper percentage of marine salt. (They sell hydrometers at the pet store for this purpose.) If you choose to raise corals or anemones, you have to have good light as well.

This project has been a lot of fun so far for me. I have to take Chemistry in the spring, so an aquarium has been a good hands-on exercise in working precisely with lab equipment and doing titrations. And its just plain fun to nurture and watch life!

-- Lindsay

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home