Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Progress on Macintosh SE

A status update on my Macintosh SE. It's now connected to my ethernet router through a bunch of localtalk boxes and a localtalk-ethernet bridge. The bridge appears to be running fine. I see the old SE trying to ping AppleShare servers out across the network.

The only problem that I'm running into now is transferring files to/from my modern G4s. I have a USB floppy disk, but apparently those don't support the SE's old 800k floppy format (hey, it's a 17 year old standard, what do you expect?). Also, AppleShare, the file server protocol, doesn't come with the consumer edition of OS X, only the server.

However, I may have a solution for that. Microsoft released their own AppleShare program called Microsoft Services for Macintosh. I'm hoping to be able to install that on a Virtual PC so I can get the SE to talk to the Virtual PC and snag files needed to update the SE.

Once the SE is updated to run MacTCP, it will be able to communicate with its grandbabies, the G4s, in a much more normal way. I'm not sure what I will do with it once this is done, but I think it will make a cool unix terminal for administering and controlling the G4s via telnet.

-- Aeryth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home