Monday, January 30, 2006

Today is the start of week 3 of nursing school. The days in the past few weeks have melted and blurred into one another, a combustion of activity fueled by caffeine. It feels so good just to sit down for a moment and have a chance to breathe.

Two major events happened in my life the past several weeks: the start of a job and the start of nursing school. So far, my decision to switch careers to nursing easily ranks up there in the best decisions I have ever made in life. The blend of intellectual discipline and physical dexterity in my future career fits my personality and skills perfectly. The program is also very academically challenging and interdisciplinary, which obliterates the problem of intolerable boredom I had with the slow pace of university classes when I was an engineering major. In the past few weeks, I've had to study how various pieces of political science, math, psychology, biology, along with countless other pieces come together to form the field of nursing. This upcoming Wednesday, we don the official school uniforms for the first time as new student nurses. I'm so excited to work at the hospital!

As far as the new job goes, quite frankly, I believe I'm locked in the hold of a ship of fools. I really miss my old job, bless my former managers' hearts. Too bad the hours were so terrible there. My new store has to be the most disorganized place I've ever seen. From the severe mismanagement of inventory, to the schedule availability mistakes, to the incessant politics localized to the tiny fief of my department, the issues are too many to count. About the only thing it has in its favor is the proximity to my hospital and the fact the high turnover means as many hours as I want. Oh, and the customers are usually very nice and understanding people. Other than that, I just enjoy the dance of the negotiation of a sale and use the job to whet my hunger and motivation to get someplace better...I'd love to get my LVN license to work as a nurse at the end of the year while I finish my RN.

Well back to studying...

1 Comments:

Blogger Aeryth said...

Thanks for the well-wishes, T-bone! :-) I'm actually working clothing retail, but there seem to be a lot of parallels as far the job experience goes with food service. Your old job may have been even harder than mine since food is so much more customizable than clothing, so it opens up a lot more areas where customers can complain. :-)

-- Aeryth

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home