Friday, July 09, 2004

Kaffeklatch or Fun With Legal Stimulants

TGIF! Right now, I'm enjoying some really yummy dessert coffee, Millstone's Chocolate Velvet. Mom got me this nifty little device from Melitta that lets you brew a single cup. All you have to do is boil water, put in a #2 filter in this cone that fits on a cup, and slowly pour in the water (basically being your own coffee maker).

It's not too shabby. I've messed with it a couple of times, and the only alteration I would make is to put in 3 tsps of coffee, instead of the 2 on the label. It's fun for trying out different flavored coffees, that way you can make one cup without forcing the whole household to drink or having to throw a pot out.

My heart is very near and dear to tea, however. I probably have like 15 types of tea between my house and work. Tea is a much more gentle and subtle stimulant than coffee, and also the whole brewing thing is relaxing. You drop in a tea bag, and the water around slowly blooms with color until it fully develops like a picture. The different teas also have distinct layers and an intricacy to their taste you don't find in coffee.

I remember going to Whole Foods one time, and picking up some Taylor's and Harrogate's, an imported tea from the UK. All of a sudden, I felt a tapping on my shoulder and I turned around and there was a tiny, wizened elderly couple. With very distinct British accents and a homesick tone to their voice, they asked me if I was from the UK. Unfortunately, I had to tell them I was from the States, but as I work for a company based in the UK, I was able to talk to them about their county, Yorkshire. They recommended that I go to Betty's, a traditional tea room that hasn't changed much since the early 1900s. Anyways, tea brought us together, and I was happy to bring back memories of their homeland.

Happy drinking,

-- Aeryth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home